23 January 2014

Character Study :: Casey Darris

So Day 2 of the 12-Day Plan of Simple Writing Exercises is as follows ::

Create a character with personality traits of someone you love, but the physical characteristics of someone you don’t care for.

At first, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this.  In fact, I'll be honest and say that this particular exercise was a big part of the reason that I've been putting off doing these exercises in the first place.  So I kind of put it off most of the day.  Which turned out to be a good thing anyway, as I was fighting the auras associated with a potentially nasty migraine most of the day.  And then I realized how stupid I was being about my issues with this challenge and just sat down to start working out the basics of this character.



This is a very basic fleshing out of a new character.  I've already considered two changes to her if I use her, one cosmetic, one personal preference.  I'll discuss those after listing out what I've got so far.

Name: Casey Lynn Darris
DoB: 23 February 1969
Zodiac: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Earth Rooster

Hair: dishwater blonde, shoulder length
Eyes: hazel
Height: 5'6"
Build: average to slightly overweight, but healthy

Distinguishing Characteristics:
light freckles; tans easily; sunburst tramp stamp; wears several large, gaudy rings

Personality Traits (positive): 
sweet, flirtatious, easily amused, easily moved to tears, contemplative, hopeful/positive, friendly, spiritual

Personality Traits (negative):
moody, jealous, possessive, overthinks things, lonely, terrified of failing

So the changes I've already considered making here for this character are changing her first name to Cassie and making her some level of redhead.  The first was more because Cassie Lynn sounds better to my ear than Casey Lynn, though both are perfectly acceptable.  The change in hair color is primarily because I have a thing for redheads, so may or may not change as this character develops for me.

I think I'll go find a couple of my various "create your character template" question sets and start working out some details for this character.  That should help with nailing down both of the changes I'm contemplating for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment