10 April 2012

PBP :: A is for Animals, Part 2


When I'd initially planned to do a two-part series on animals, I'd wanted to use this second post to discuss the animals I'd seen on my trip to Oregon the first weekend of March 2012. Considering that we're currently in the middle of April 2012, that idea is clearly moot. But I think I'll still work off the basis of that idea, rather than the specifics.

Whenever I travel, I see more wildlife than expected. While some animals and birds are seen on a regular basis, I have learned never to expect to see them. If I expect them to appear, like it's an obligation on their part, they don't show and I tend not to see them for a while. And I've learned to accept that, because it's not an obligation on their part to show themselves to me.



I always see certain animals, just by virtue of the Pacific Northwest being part of their home territory: crows, gulls, ducks, grebes, cormorants. The closer I am to the Sound or the Columbia River, the more likely I am to see herons, egrets, eagles [both bald and golden], and ospreys.

More rarely, I've seen harbor seals, sea lions, and even an orca out in the Sound while traveling between Tacoma and Olympia. At least, I think I saw the orca. But I've learned over the years that the initial impression I get when seeing animals is the one I'm meant to have, and I take the messages that they give me. Even if I later figure out that it was a completely different animal [primarily happening with the birds], I stick with that initial gut instinct impression and work from there. The harbor seals always seem to welcome me back home, rather than to send me off to Oregon.

Now, to be honest, some of the highlights of the Oregon trip last month that still give me chills to remember. For example, I counted at least two hundred Canada geese within a roughly five-mile stretch along the tracks heading out of Tacoma. I'll be honest and say that I lost track around one ninety-five, but I know there were more than two hundred total. This all took place between the Tacoma Amtrak station and the pair of Navy ships moored nearby, definitely well before we even got to Galloping Gertie and her boyfriend [the Tacoma Narrows bridges].

Canada geese hold a special place in my heart, and have ever since I lived in Minnesota in my childhood and got to watch a small flock of wild geese raise their babies. Thirty years later, I can still see those little fluffy balls of feathers, beaks, and webbed feet navigating the terrain to follow their parents into the water or back to the safety of the nest. The lead pair of adults was named Templeton and Serena, thanks to my adoration of E.B. White's books, but no one else actually got names. They got so used to me over the course of that spring and summer while the babies grew up. By the time they left the pond, Serena had gotten close enough for me to grab her by the neck if I'd so chosen. I didn't, of course, and still hold that moment of communion between us as one of the dearest of my memories.

The other really impressive thing that stuck with me all these weeks since is the fact that I saw a trio of Roosevelt Elk somewhere between Olympia and Kelso. I don't honestly remember the specific location, though I think we were closer to Kelso, as they were along the last stretches before the train really started to angle back along the Columbia River toward Vancouver and Portland. They were probably about thirty or forty feet from the train tracks, down in a bit of a culvert, just happily browsing, and seemed not to notice the train as we sped by.

I always like to judge how my time in Oregon will be by the animals and birds I see on the trip down. My trip this past weekend was relatively uneventful, but I also ended up sleeping a lot, so may have missed multiple opportunities to see my favorite animals and their messages. This happens occasionally, and I don't look upon such instances negatively. I usually just figure that my animal friends and protectors are telling me I need to put myself first, rather than them and their messages.

-- Sadie

No comments:

Post a Comment